<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 21, 2004

A little walk in my neighborhood. I go down Palomas, past the house with the vicious barking chihuahuas, like I'm afraid of them. At the end of the street is a makeshift horse corral with perhaps a dozen horses and some chickens. I stop to pat each of the accessible horses on the head and give them a little attention. I grew up on a farm and hated farming, but I really like animals- perhaps that's why I've been a vegetarian for 21 years.



I live in Menlo Park, which was developed beginning in the 1910s. My house was built in 1927. Sometimes I find prehistoric pottery in my front yard. There is a 2,000 year old village site beneath the stables and a Chinese farmer's house from the 1880s nearby. I mosey down a couple of blocks to the south. Diana lives in a house built in 1877 and has a shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe built into the adobe wall next to her driveway.


Virgin of Guadalupe.

Across the street is the remnants of the old Mission, established at the site of the original Tucson. I walk across the Mission Gardens and there is 1,000 year old pottery everywhere. Beyond is the garbage dump that the city put in in the 1950s. I brought a sack with me. Last weekend I went to my friend David A.'s art opening . He does a lot of "found" art, collages made from scraps of wood, bone, and metal. A couple of years ago I took David over to the dump and we collected trash, some of which has since been incorporated into his pieces. I want to do one of my own, focusing on the plastic things that are eroding out of the dump.

I wander over the edge of the dump where erosion and bottle hunters have exposed some of the trash. There is a lot of plastic- the 1950s saw the start of the plastic revolution. It's amusing to see that all but one of the pieces is stamped, "Made in the USA." The exception says "Hecho en Mexico." I find a lot of interesting pieces- avoiding things like shoe soles and most of the combs. Instead I pick up toys, bottle caps, fragments with interesting shapes and designs. When my bag is full I bring them back and wash them off next to the guest house. Mike comes out to admire my eccentric project.


Future art.

I'm still feeling a little droopy today, I dunno why. The dinner party went well last night, my house is immaculate. The cats are attentive and behaving themselves. Partly it is because it is already frigging hot here. Partly it is because it is so frigging quiet at my house. I've got a plan though, get out, do things, make things, go places, kiss somebody, forget the weeds in my yard. No use sitting about moping, no sirree.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus