<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

What to wear? I really need some new clothes. My jeans have holes. I'm bored with my shirts. I'm going to New York City and don't have a stitch to wear.

When I was a kid I always wore hand-me-downs (I was the youngest of five, had two older brothers). At age 13 my mother told me I had to buy my own clothes. We were so poor that I would work all summer and take 40 or 50 dollars to J. C. Penny's and try to make do. The worst time was when I hit puberty at a very late age at 16 and grew almost 10 inches in one year. I had flood pants the entire time, I was so mortified. Of course I looked totally weird anyway, because I was so skinny and gangly and rather clumsy.

I went away to college and Les pushed some fashion sense into my head. We loved going to Value Village and finding fun vintage things. Les dressed better than I, except for that one white Willy Wear trench coat he bought.

After I graduated from grad school I stopped buying vintage, figuring I could finally afford new clothes. Now I'm suddenly liking 1970s polyester shirts with huge lapels. I'm going to Panchesco's birthday party this weekend and I'm really looking forward to buying a cowboy hat to wear. I wonder if this jaunt into fashion is a temporary thing or maybe a new, exciting phase. I guess you'll have to wait and see.


So sophisticated.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus