<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The gays love science fiction now. Battlestar Gallactica. Serenity. Shawn of the Dead. When I was younger it seemed like I was the only gay guy that wanted to go see the Star Wars movies. I distinctly remember lusting after Gil Gerard on Buck Rogers in the mid-1970s.

When I was a very, very little child I remember being at my father's friend Ken's house and an original, first-run Star Trek was on the television. It made a huge impression on me because my father hated science fiction and we were never, ever allowed to watch it. That didn't stop me from borrowing science fiction books from the library- instead of watching it on tv or the movies, I could imagine the scenes in my head.

It is more difficult to find good science fiction nowadays. I'm not really interested in the wizard and magic stuff that takes up too much room on the bookshelves at Borders. I like problem-solving stories, time travel, and what ifs.

I recommend the books by China Mieville- he has an amazing imagination. I have a small set of books that I re-read every few years- Malevil by Robert Merle is one of my all-time favorites.

So what's your favorite science fiction movie and or book?

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus