<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

At the Presidio Museum there is an enormous fig tree. When we did the archaeological excavations in the early 2000s, we found an outhouse pit filled with figs dating to the 1880s. The tree has likely been there since that time, although the way fig trees grow there is likely no wood from that time period still present.

The tree is loaded with figs, and since the museum is closed for the month, I am uncertain whether any of them will be picked (last year the refugee group picked many).

The fig tree.

I picked about six pounds of figs. 

Figs.

I used a recipe from the New York Times website, using less sugar than called for. The other ingredients were balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. 

Fig jam cooking.

I made the jam last night, but canned it tonight. I have seven jars- some will go to the Presidio for use during Living History.

Seven jar of jam.

I'm going to Michigan on Thursday, the first flight in three years. I will be interested to see how many people are sensible enough to wear a mask. 


Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus