<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 06, 2004

Letter to editor. The letter I wrote last week showed up in the Tucson Citizen, our conservative newspaper today. I'll be getting some hate mail soon- religious tracts, or maybe a letter from a fake address telling me I'm a pathetic shithead. It is so easy to rile up conservatives.

I've been thinking about the woman who told me she was voting for Bush again. The backstory is that this woman is white and and is married to a black guy. Until 1959 this sort of marriage was illegal in Arizona. According to Arizona law, a "white" person (of European or Mexican background) could not marry a black, Asian, or Native American. The ACLU finally filed suit and when it was apparent the law would be thrown out the state legislature caved in and sacked the miscegenation laws.

The gay marriage issue is on the same track, but this time around the Republicans are pushing for a constitutional amendment and George W. Bush is backing them. Anyone who supports him is supporting his policies. If the woman wants to vote for Bush, go ahead. But she shouldn't expect me to be her friend anymore. I'm not looking forward to being a second class citizen.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus