<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

At the Middle Eastern restaurant, the falafel was awful. In contrast the hummous was excellent, as was the hot Lebanese waiter- you could bounce a quarter off his ass.

When I was a freshman and sophomore in college I played a lot of quarters- the drinking game where you bounced a quarter into a shot of beer. Every weekend was spent partying. I guess I was making up for my boring high school years- my parents didn't allow me and my brother off of the farm, dear old Dad had some social pathologies that involved wanting his kids at home under his control at all times. So getting trashed was a new experience for me and one that I pursued vigorously until I finally decided that it was really no fun to have a hangover the next day. My freshman roommate was also the dorm drug dealer and watching him slide downhill that year made me carefully think about the dangers of casual drug use.

The crowd I hang out with now may smoke a joint once in a while and some like their liquor, but nothing more hard core, at least as far as I know. An ex-roommate of mine hung out with the druggy set a few years earlier and it was really unpleasant to see them gradually fuck themselves up, especially the one who took Special K and promptly drowned himself in a pool

I've been thinking about this because a female friend is doing crystal meth and another close friend has taken to drinking heavily. There is nothing I can do to help either person- at this point they either deny there is a problem or blame it on someone else. I'm glad that I never aspired to be a crack whore- although I hear the benefits package is great. Maybe I should have asked the two hookers I saw on Stone Avenue at 6:30 this morning.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus