<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Dig, Day 8. Almost finished in the middle room. We found the bottom of the mystery pit- it is almost five feet deep and round. We don't know what it was used for- perhaps some sort of cistern? There are several other pits nearby.


Contrast this photo with the one for Day 1.


Jenny documents the mystery pit.

Tomorrow we will be documenting the pithouse and I'll see about taking a photo. There are about five grinding stones sitting on its floor. One was the type used to make shell jewelry. The Hohokam walked out west to the Sea of Cortez and collected sea shells that they made into bracelets, earrings, and other jewelry.

We pulled up the floor in the north room and are starting to dig there. That room should yield a lot of Spanish era artifacts. The nearby northeast room is dug down to that level and we are finding a lot of majolica sherds and cattle and sheep bones.

At home I've started cleaning my guest house, since the last residents have moved away. When I turned on the shower a gecko ran out of the drain and I caught it.


The little gecko.

I carefully held it in my palm and grabbed my camera. Moments after I took the picture he jumped onto the ground and then the unexpected happen. Geckos have a curious self defense mechanism. They can make their tails come off and the tails wiggle around obscenely. And that is what happened. It is truly freaky.

Otherwise spent the weekend attending a pool party (hung out with Patrick, Michael, and Michael B.). Had a couple of meals with Mark and Sandy and helped a little packing things- they are off to Australia (I'll miss them a lot, but plan on visiting next year). Barbeque yesterday at Roger P.'s place. He mixes fierce drinks and it was interesting to people watch at his apartment complex. I'm glad I live in a house, that's all I'll say.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus