<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 10, 2006

At the Immigration March there were grandmothers, young mothers pushing strollers, a veteran in a wheelchair, several young men making funny sounds with a rolled up poster, and so on.


Marchers.

It took two hours to walk 28 blocks. Perhaps 15,000 or 20,000 people- the biggest protest Tucson has seen. I left after 28 blocks, I hadn't worn a hat and my head was sunburnt bright red.

My ancestors came from England, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, and Holland. The first came over in 1609 to Jamestown. The last arrived in New York City in 1862.


Passenger list, S. R. Peel, 24 June 1862.

They came to escape religious persecution, to escape military conscription, and to search for better economic opportunities than were offered to peasants and linen weavers in old Europe. One of my great-great-great-great grandparent's children died on the 10 week sail across the ocean.

The people I marched with today have similar stories. They have now made lives in the United States. They want to be citizens. I say let them, let the grandmothers and young mothers and young men making funny noises achieve their dreams.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus