<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 18, 2010

It took me less than five minutes to complete my United States census form for 2010. It was a complete disappointment. Ten questions. Seventy two years from now, in 2082, people will know my name, birthdate, self-identified race, telephone number (will they even have those then?), and the fact that I have a mortgage on my house.
I was expecting that they would want to know my occupation, birth place, and whether I liked Lady Gaga or not.

I use census records a lot while doing genealogy research. here is an example from 1870, with my great-great grandparents Elijah and Edna listed. Elijah worked at grist mill, grinding grain up to make flour (also sawing lumber). You can see that he and his brother Benjamin were a lot wealthier than their neighbors. The old census records provide a lot of information about people back then, data that you can't find anywhere else. So yeah, I was disappointed that they didn't ask more about me.

























1870 census record (click to enlarge).

I'm old enough that this is the fifth census I have been counted.

- 1970, living on North Long Lake Road outside of Traverse City, Michigan with my parents and four siblings

- 1980, living near Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan with my parents and two siblings

- 1990, living in Tempe, Arizona with two other archaeology grad students

- 2000, living at my current house with the ex, who didn't want to be counted with me (should have paid attention to that one, right?)

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus