<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Twenty years ago I boarded a plane in Phoenix and flew first to Minneapolis and then to DC for the March on Washington.

I was 29, was getting ready to move to Tucson to work for the same company I work for today, was somewhat socially awkward, had some self-esteem issues.

I stayed at Laura's house and my best friend from college, Les, and his then bf stayed there as well. I think every gay-friendly house was loaded with people.

We went to the March and ended up walking with the Minnesota contingent, waiting for hours for the other states to walk by (it was chronological by when they became states, if I had waited for Arizona it would have been hours more).

Les and Homer, 1993.

It was fun, but I don't know if the march accomplished anything. I went to Senator McCain's office and talked with his gay staff member. And here it is 20 years later and McCain is still a homophobic asshole.

I look at the picture of myself, so skinny and well, cute, and think about how my life has changed in 20 years. I have a house, a handsome boyfriend, tree cats and a dog. And yet here in Arizona gay people can't get married, the Republicans and the evil Center for Arizona Policy are doing everything they can to deny LGBT people civil rights. We have a long way to go, and probably a few more marches and protests.


Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus