<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 14, 2014

Let's harvest some prickly pears.

My prickly pear cactus made lots of fruit this year. I decided to make some syrup.
Prickly pear.

I used my hotdog tongs to twist them off the pad, careful to avoid the thorns.
Close-up of fruit.

I filled my big pot.

Fruit-full.

A website recommended burning off the thorns, which seemed like a good idea. They lit up like a firecracker.

Impossible to hold the cactus fruit and take a non-blurry picture.

I blended the fruit one at a time. I mostly avoided making a bloody mess.

Blender.

I strained the pulp once, removing the seeds and shredded skin. I then strained it a second time to make sure no thorns got through.

Starting straining.

I was left with about 12.5 cups of juice. I added four cups sugar and 9 teaspoons lemon juice and starting cooking it down.

Cooking.

My house was already so hot I decided to make thick juice instead of syrup. I ended up 11 pints worth.

Canned. The jars are popping now.

Here is the irony. I don't really like prickly pear. These jars will be gifts to other more appreciative folks. I'll probably save one or two for All Souls Procession cocktails.


Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus