<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

In 1971 my mother gave me a United States stamp book for Christmas. It probably came with a batch of stamps and she had some in an older stamp book. I happily licked the little stamp hinges after I found the correct page with the little black and white picture of the stamp.

When new stamps came out at the post office I was allowed to get one. You could also purchase stamps in the mail via approval books sent by stamp companies. I well remember picking stamps out and send back coins in the return envelope. Once I got a letter telling me not to do that. Later I was given a World album.

The US and foreign stamps taught me a lot about history, geography, and other cultures. As a kid the foreign stamp book and National Geographic maps provided hours of entertainment. I wonder whether kids today know what a simple pleasure that is.

Stamp collecting is one of those dying hobbies I suppose. That did not stop me from purchasing a set of very expensive albums to put my collection in. They have plastic holders for the stamps and have a very neat appearance. I spent the last week or so transferring stamps into the album, sorting the stamps I have, finding the correct placement. I went on Ebay and purchased a couple of things. I'd like to complete the affordable stamps (no way can I afford the ones that are hundreds or thousands of dollars each!).


The books have places for stamps from 1847 to 1984.

I know, exciting, right? But it makes me happy and reminds me of my mother, always encouraging me to learn.

1971 commemoratives. The four at the bottom have always been one of my favorites.




Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus