<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

At 3:54 in the morning the train passes through town, sounding its horn or whatever it is they call it. The cats are moving about in my bedroom, excited because I have just let them in. Puff decides to pick on Joey, and they growl at each other. I can't sleep and puzzle over things in my head.

A couple of days ago I tried very earnestly to thing of good things that George Bush has done in the three years and couple of months since he has been in office. Perhaps he "united" people after 9-11 and perhaps his initial efforts to subdue the Al Quaeda terrorists were worthwhile. But that is it. Nothing else. If one is a greedy religious person, then George Bush is a great guy. If you believe in ensuring that people are treated equally and fairly, in a clean environment, in not harming innocent people- Bush is basically a bastard.

I'm thinking about this because two people I know- one a gay man and the other a white woman married to a black guy- are planning on voting for George in November, primarily because they approve of his economic "policies." Apparently they agree that tax cuts are wonderful. I still don't understand how running up an enormous deficit is helpful. My sister Susan, who is a tax accountant, told me that the cuts are primarily going to her wealthy clients. Susan and I agree that it is better to pay your bills than run up debts and that rich people should help pay for the infrastructure and military that ensures they will remain rich. Susan voted for Bush in 2000. Now she says, "I'll never vote for that fucking idiot again." She doesn't swear very often, she's really a very nice person.

It is very upsetting to me that any gay person would vote for Bush. Hiss supporters hate us. They wish we would go away, convert into straight people, die. If George wins he will be appointing as many as three Supreme Court justices. Given that Bush has stated that admires Antonin Scalia, I don't think he'll be nominating people with favorable opinions on gay rights. What good will tax cuts be for gay Republicans when we will be treated as second class citizens?

The cats have started to settle down, but I'm wide awake, worrying about the future, wondering what will happen if the Republicans win (or steal the election again!). I hope for the best, I don't know if that will happen, but I can always hope.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus