<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 22, 2005

I've been to Europe three times. First time was in 1996, Mike and I went to visit Yorgos and his boyfriend Filios. They lived in Athens and we took a trip that included Corinth,
Olympia, Mycenae, Tiryns, and some place that starts with a P but which I can't remember its name (Yorgos, what was that place?).


Mike at the National Museum in Athens.

Mike and I got on the ferry and went out to Santorini so I could see the Minoan-era ruins there. The town of Thera was buried by a volcano about 3,000 years ago. Back in 1972 my mom showed me a National Geographic article on the site and ever since then I wanted to be an archaeologist.

In 1998 I spent a month in Europe with the Ex. He was living in Amsterdam and we eventually got on a train and went to Berlin to visit my ex-boyfriend Philip. At the Pergamom museum I ran into another ex-boyfriend- small world moment.


Pergamom Museum, Berlin.

We then went to Poland and spent the night in a police academy hotel. In the morning we discovered people in northwest Poland drink vodka for breakfast. I got to see the little village my last emigrant ancestors came from in 1862. It was tiny, but had a disco. Took the train to Prague (beautiful!) and then to southern Germany to Augsberg to meet my 4th cousins.

Homer, Claus, and Thomas.

I slept in Claus's sister's room. The walls were covered with pictures of the singing group Hansen. When I was back in Amsterdam the next week I walked past the oldest brother in the drug district.

I was in England this January (see January 2005 archives for posts). Future trips I'd like to take: Back to Greece to hang out with Yorgos, I'd like to go see the Roman site of Aphrodias in Turkey, also Pompeii and Herculaneum in Italy. I wouldn't mind a trip to Africa to see the wild animals. Maybe the Carribbean to lie on a beach and absorb skin-cancer causing rays. It'll be a while before the next major trip, I've got to pay down my home equity loan just a bit.

Where do you want to go?

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus