<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 17, 2005

When I was a kid we made little construction paper turkeys by tracing around our hands- the thumb was the head and the other fingers the tail feathers. We'd cut out eyes, feet, wings and glue them on with Elmer's Glue. We wrote each person attending the dinner at Grandpa and Grandma F's house on them. On Thanksgiving Day my family- my parents and my four older brothers and sisters- would walk through the snow next door to their house. Uncle Fred and Aunt Janelle would be there, along with Janelle's parents and later my cousins Fred and Janeen. Grandpa Colonel, my maternal grandmother's father would also be there, until he died. One year Uncle David and Aunt Sherry came too and I remember Aunt Sherry talking about how good looking Joe Namath was.

We ate turkey, instant mashed potatoes (this was the late 1960s, early 1970s after all), Grandma's strawberry jello cranberry salad, Waldorf salad, green beans, store-bought warm-up rolls, followed by pumpkin pie. The menu never changed, I'm sure about that. We ate the same exact meal for Christmas the following month. One year, when I was in college, I insisted on boiling potatoes and making real mashed potatoes. Everyone was amazed at how much better they were.

This year I'm taking Mummy to a potluck. I wish Susan could be here too. My Amish brother Buck isn't allowed to celebrate 'English" holidays- otherwise I'd wish for his company too. It would be nice to see Elizabeth and her husband and my three grown nephews. I wish, too, that I could see my grandparents, my great grandfather, even my father. I wish I had one of those little colored paper name cards, then I could see how much bigger my hand is.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus