<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 27, 2006

I met Bert Wilber at an antique store. When I am at such stores and see a pile of old photos, I look at the backs first, searching for those that have names on them. When there is a name, I flip them over and look at the face. Sometimes I will buy these pictures and research the person.


Bert Wilber.

Richard had called me while I was at the library printing out more articles on people dying tragic deaths in Territorial Arizona. Did I want to go to Bisbee with him and Keith? Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. And off we went. Unforts, no camera, so no pictures of us traipsing around.

Bisbee was crowded and the antique stores were full of bargains- I bought a dozen Christmas ornaments from the 1920s or 1930s for $6, an enamelware serving bowl with bright fruit for $20, and a double flamingo ceramic planter for $14. I never spend money on myself, so this was an unusual event.

The photo had "Bert Wilber, Kansas" on the back and was taken at a Menominee, Michigan photographer's studio. From these clues I found him in the 1880, 1910, and 1920 censuses. He was born in 1871 in New York, was married around 1904 to a woman named Effie, had two daughters, and was living in El Dorado, Kansas in 1920. He disappears afterwards.

Bert was certainly a hottie- we agreed he was an early 1900s dream date.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus