<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 30, 2007

I've been following with great interest Synaptic Blue Al's posts about his close friend Miranda, who is a Sierra Club employee and is having a grand adventure. She endured a long flight from Canada to China via Air China, where they served pickled tripe as an onboard snack!

Miranda has been sent to take care of an orphaned panda cub named Nanuck at some research facility in the southern provinces of China. She emailed Al pictures of cute Nanuck and also another cub, Lola. It is a good thing she mentioned they were different cubs, because, honestly, all great panda cubs look alike to me! It was helpful that the pictures were labeled "B11nanukbearbaby," "B16nanuckplaypen," and "B41panda6" although I was a bit confused because the second panda is named Lola.

Here's a couple of screen shots I borrowed from the site. Just so you know, that material is protected by copyrights, so I'm making sure I mention that it came from Al's blog.

Nanuck and Lola, posted on 30 August 2007!


Nanuck, posted on 28 August 2007!

I did think it was a little odd that there is an English language sign in the background of Nanuck's tupperware photograph posted on August 30th. You can even sorta read the words: "---sonian National Zoological."


Nanuck!

Since this was China, I would have expected that the signs would be in Chinese, but maybe Miranda's Sierra Club employer had some signs made up special for their English-speaking staff. I know it must be real tough flying overseas to take care of darling, orphaned cubs!

Well you know me, I really can't tell the difference between one great panda cub and another. Why only a couple of years ago Chrisafer was campaigning to have the cub at the Smithsonian National Zoo renamed Butterstick. That didn't work, those darn zookeepers named it Tai-shan instead! That's because the Chinese view pandas as part of their national patrimony and require that all cubs get Chinese names! That's kinda interesting, because Miranda's cubs are named Nanuck (a Native American name!) and Lola (a Spanish name meaning strong woman).

So I really wanted to see more cute panda cub pictures, especially of lil Butterstick, and I did a Google image search for "panda Smithsonian" and up came their delightful website, just chock full of pictures of little Tai-shan and his mama Mei-Xiang.


A screen grab of some pictures of little Tai-shan at the Smithsonian National Zoo! Taken in September 2005!

Look at all of the adorable pictures. And like I said, all great panda cubs look alike to me. Even the little tupperware containers they hang out in and the signs partially visible in the background look exactly alike. I guess there is some unwritten rule that baby pandas have to be raised in exactly identical surroundings in Washington, DC and in the southern provinces of China. Who knew? I feel like such an idiot.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus