<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 20, 2014

So the Arizona legislature has passed a bill that would allow people with "sincere" religious beliefs to discriminate against anyone. Of course, the bill is meant to target LGBT folks.

Currently, according to the Arizona Attorney General's website, it is illegal to discriminate based on:

- race
- color
- national origin/ancestry
- sex
- religion/creed
- physical or mental disability

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't tell whether this new law makes these prohibitions against discrimination moot. I have a feeling that these are based on Federal laws, but honestly I am too tired to look this up.

In any case, LGBT people are not covered. It is completely legal to fire someone because they are gay. To deny them housing.

I don't know whether Governor Brewer will sign this. I suspect she will, unless pressure is put onto her by major business interests.

It is embarrassing to live in a state where fundamentalist Christians promote hate with such glee.

Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

comments powered by Disqus